Friday 5 April 2013

How I Secured Pupillage

I know exactly how I did it. Yes, I ticked the boxes. But I persevered. No individual is impervious to rejection; unless, that is, they are extremely arrogant. Arrogance is a fault. Necessarily, when the rejections kept coming in I wondered why I had set upon the path I had. I wondered why no person had thought to tell me that I had been wasting my time. I felt extremely embarrassed that I had, in my mind anyway, failed.

There is much to be drawn from this. I found a real determination; not exactly from myself. It was a speech given my Michael Napier QC that catalysed a growth in my resolve. His speech, which explored why he had pursued a career in the Law, invited me to explore my reasons for approaching the Bar. My reasons varied. One reason was to enter a profession whose purpose was of public importance and was, in many ways, to maintain the greater good. Another reason, to enjoy a career that was intellectually stimulating and infinitely varied. The greatest reason was this: to make my mom proud.

My mom brought me up on her own. It was always just her and I. Money was tight. I attended a school that was, in my experience, rather poor - in most respects. Personally, we endured rather distressing circumstances. However, mom always encouraged me to dream and to believe that I could achieve anything, so long as I applied myself. I realized during Napier's speech that I had to place faith, blindly, in succeeding. And, further, that was not such a great leap of faith as I might have first thought: because I was capable. I had, with my mom's help, travelled much further than I thought possible. And, looking back, I cannot believe what we have achieved. I am extremely lucky.

My advice is to examine yourself. Closely, carefully. Understand your motivations. Understand your capability. Then, only once you have done that, will you be ready to walk into that interview.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your wonderful posts! I came on here for advice for a GDL Inns of Court scholarship but ended up reading all your entries.

    Congratulations on securing a pupillage! It gives me lots of hope, as I'm also not Oxbridge, not middle class, and raised by my mom alone, who I very much want to make proud.

    Thanks again for the inspiration :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would not believe how pleased I am to have read your post. Believe in yourself, work hard and what you deserve will come.

    As far as scholarship interviews go, do take a look at my reply to a comment on my post: Do Believe the Truth: Getting to Grips with the GDL Friday, 5 November 2010. Any other questions, please feel free to comment.


    ReplyDelete